Sunday, November 18, 2012

13!!!!

 Emily turned 13 last week, and said, "this is going to be the best year of my life!" She has been waiting forever to turn 13.  Mostly, so she could finally open up a facebook account.  This year, instead of having a party, I told her I had a special surprise for just her and me on her birthday.  It was killing her not to know.  and for me not to tell her, because I bought these months ago.

tickets to Wicked!! 

what are the odds that Wicked is in Seattle on Emily's birthday??

Picture this:  (a little cheesy)  Emily wakes up and comes downstairs for her birthday doughnut breakfast.  As she is coming down the stairs, Defying Gravity is playing, and there are 13 green and black balloons on the dining room table.  she figured the surprise out pretty quick. 


 
she loved Wicked.  everytime a song was over, she would lean over and say something like "this is so awesome" or "I love this so much!"  This was my third time seeing it and it never gets old.  (once in Japanese, twice in English!)
 
 
trying to do a birthday photoshoot--good job Trent
 
 
her hair took me 1 hour and 15 minutes!!  her YW leader loaned us her special crimper.  Emily's hair never holds curl.  ever.  except for this crimper.  it's amazing.
 
 
Some random things about Emily: 
 
 on growing--she has been 5'7 for about a year now and says she hopes she's done growing, but would be fine being a little taller, just as long as she doesn't reach 6'0.
 
on talking--Emily's favorite thing to do.  talking and laughing. She will talk all the way through a movie while everyone around her is saying "shhhhhh".  She loves to be around people.  loves going to school and comes home every day with tons of funny stories about her friends.  Although she's a straight A student, she often gets in trouble for talking.  and most afternoons will say, "mom, come sit at the table and talk to me while I do my homework."
 
on reading--Emily will read anything and everything.  she's currently loving the matched/crossed/reached series.  but her all time favorite is Hunger Games.  Last week at the public library, the librarian recognized Emily from when the librarian was visting middle schools to encourage reading and give book ideas.  She said, "Aren't you the girl who loves to read from ____  Middle school?  You really made an impression on me."  I thought that was awesome, Emily was a little embarrassed.
 
on music--Emily is still plugging away at the piano.  not so happily most of the time.  but it's coming along.   She was also recently one of two students chosen from the 7th grade at her school for all state choir, coming up in February.  She was really excited about that. 
 
we love you Emily!!
 
 

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Happy Birthday Emily!!!!!!!!!! We love you!!!!!! You probably don't remember us much but we have tons of pictures of you with your once best friend Kalen!!!

Jill, she is shaping up so nicely. I love it. She's 5'7? That's awesome. Kalen is probably 5'4. He'll pass that up soon though, seeing he wears a size 11 in mens!!!! It's crazy.

Thank you for your comment about Kirk that was so nice. He loves that you love his beard because I'm unsure of it, but if you love it, then I love it... :) Love,

Shauna

Lisa Brown said...

So much fun!! What a perfect surprise for her birthday, and an awesome thing for you to do together. Isn't it great to live somewhere where you can do that? I love taking Lily to Broadway shows.