Don't you just love cooking in the fall? Here are a few of my favorites this past month. and links. how did we cook before the internet?? :)
these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins from mels kitchen cafe. I love any kind of pumpkin chocolate chip dessert, but I make these the most. they turn out perfect every time.
this marinated chicken from all recipes. We eat a lot of chicken, and try to stay away from most sauces, cream of chicken type stuff. Ryan usually BBQ's this outside (we use our grill all year long) and it's always very moist and flavorful. My two oldest kids love it. the youngest probably would, if he would eat chicken. but he doesn't. that is another story for later.
this manicotti, from Mel's kitchen cafe. I love that you roll up lasagna noodles instead of filling manicotti shells. much easier. My kids were skeptical, asking, "why can't you just make us our regular lasagna?" but after trying it, they LOVE it. I've added it to my dinner rotations.
pumpkin soup. from my Tokyo friend, Heather Harper. is my all time favorite fall soup. recipe below. the curry is my favorite, and makes it stand out from other pumpkin soups. and don't skimp on the 1 cup cream. (I'm talking to you, Shauna Klippel!) it's a necessity.
Pumpkin Soup
½ C. melted butter
1 C. chopped onion
1 clove garlic
1 t. curry powder
½ t. salt
¼ t. ground coriander
1/8 t. crushed red pepper
3 C. chicken broth
16 oz. can pumpkin
1 C. cream or half and half
In large saucepan or stock pot sautee butter, onion, garlic and spices until onions are glassy. Add chicken broth and boil uncovered 20 minutes. Add pumpkin and cream and blend with Braun handi-mixer or run through blender to puree. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives to garnish.
(I usually triple the recipe to freeze for later or if serving more than 4 people. I also prefer to blend the soup before adding the pumpkin and cream. It seems to be a little easier. I will often let it simmer on the stove or put it in a crockpot to steep all day. The spices really come out the longer it cooks.)



2 comments:
Who me??? Okay, okay, won't skip on the cream! Hey I love these! How did you find Mel's Kitchen, I love that site, it's great!
Why in the world didn't I think about the noodles instead of filling those dang shells?
Chicken looks great and you know I'm making those muffins tomorrow, without the chocolate though...psyche!!!! The more chocolate the better.
I love the food posts!!! And I love you,
Talk soon,
Shauna xoxoxoxoxox
I love fall cooking too and I love Mel's! I found her from one of your older posts a while ago and now she is my go to website for cooking. Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen the manacotti recipe. I am going to have to try that. We are always up for something different and it is great if it is something the kids already like just made in a different way. Great Halloween pics!
Post a Comment