Monday, December 29, 2014
candy making is a lost art
I recently came across a blog mentioning how exciting it was to finally be able to buy Christmas treats from Trader Joes. I immediately thought, "People buy Christmas cookies and treats? I thought everybody made stuff like that." Apparently not. except for the Reese's Christmas trees, of course! those are the best! I once locked myself in the bathroom in Japan with all the Reese's Christmas trees my parents mailed me so that I wouldn't have to share with the kids. anyways...
A few days later, I brought homemade caramels to a party and the fuss made over those caramels was crazy! My friends finally decided that maybe homemade caramels were an Idaho thing and that I knew how to make candy because people from Idaho are a little more old fashioned. I was speechless. WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!???
I feel sad this homemaking skill seems to be fading away (unless you're from Idaho, I guess), but I can make sure that I pass these recipes on to my daughter and that I am creating candy making memories with my kids. They are great helpers.
At the beginning of December, we made a list called "Treats I absolutely have to have this month or it cannot be Christmas!" The list was long. and we didn't get to everything on the list. But it was nice to have on the fridge--and I kept tally marks to keep track of what we'd been making. Here's our list, with number of batches made, next to it. I love to bake, but normally don't let myself do a lot of baking. But in December, there's no holding back!
Yes we made caramels 9 times. over and over until Emily (age 15) could do it all by herself and her caramels turned out better than mine. I have done my job as a mother! My caramels are a family recipe from my grandma. Hands down it is my favorite thing to make at Christmas, and what I give away as gifts for neighbors, etc. My cousin has a great food blog and did a step by step caramel tutorial. click here for the recipe!
here's who put what on the list and how many times we made it. I think it's important to make a variety of things that different people love. For instance, I absolutely hate divinity. It's disgusting. but it's Trenton's #1 favorite Christmas candy. So we tried it 4 times!
caramels (Jill) --9
peanut butter bon bons (Emily) --3
gingersnaps (Jill) --2
chocolate covered pretzels (a YW activity)--2
peanut brittle (Emily)-- not this year
divinity (Trenton) --4 fails
fudge (Trenton)-- not this year
mint brownies (Jill) --1
coconut joys (Jacob) 3
pretzel/rolo treats (Jacob) --1
homemade hot cocoa mix (Jill)--2
peanut butter Hershey kiss cookies (Jacob) 4
and Ryan is just happy with whatever is made! and don't worry--we gave most of this away.
Gingerbread houses--they could not be serious for pictures
whimsical candy table centerpieces for a cub scout dinner. I had the boys make them, and then afterwards they were eaten and pretty much destroyed in less than a minute.
ready to deliver treats!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I totally agree. Homemade goods are a lost art, but I don't know why, they are a thousand times better (usually). Plus I feel the Crandall shame if I buy store bought a lot of times ha ha. All your goodies look delicious!
You're such a good mom. I"m doing the same thing but with meals. The oldest kids know how to make my salad and they each rotate through it every night. They also know how to make my homemade pizza. And there is more to come. :) Happy New Year,
Shauna xoxo
You're such a good mom. I"m doing the same thing but with meals. The oldest kids know how to make my salad and they each rotate through it every night. They also know how to make my homemade pizza. And there is more to come. :) Happy New Year,
Shauna xoxo
That is crazy! Isn't making treats one of the best parts of Christmas? Your list looks wonderful! I'd love the Bon Bon recipe. And divinity is tricky - I made it for our New Years party.
Post a Comment