Green is not his favorite color, but he picked it because he says it's the best color for a cast.
In the ER--nothing showed up on the x-rays, so they sent us home, saying it was a bad sprain. but for the next 10 days he couldn't put any weight on it or move it at all. We tried two kinds of crutches--both were really hard to use. He had a wheel chair at school and at home, we'd carry him around or push him on the computer chair. He was missing a lot of school and towards the end of the 10 days, I'd take him in the morning, it was a 30 minute process getting start to finish, to school. I'd go back at lunch to help him go to the bathroom and we'd read books in the library during lunch recess. then I'd come back and get him when the day was over.
this cast isn't slowing him down! His friend gives him rides up and down the street.
When we went to the pediatric ortho 10 days later, she said it's probably broken, but sometimes in the first 2 weeks ankle fractures don't show up in children. So we put a cast on it and will go back in two weeks. It's a walking cast and now he can walk just fine!! Although we've had 2 weeks of almost constant rain, which makes everything harder. I'm not sure how much trick or treating he'll do tonight.
legos from grandma and grandpa make it all better!
For a while, we had two kids on crutches at the same time! Emily occasionally uses crutches when she has to do a lot of walking. and she's practicing to get ready for her hip surgery coming up on November 14th. It's a labral repair surgery. I wasn't nervous until I told my dad, who is an OB/GYN, that Emily's surgery would be around three hours long. He said, "Wow! What kind of surgery is it? My hysterectomies only take an hour." Happy thoughts and prayers for Emily!

1 comment:
Oh my goodness!!!!! So sorry! I know a little how you feel though, seriously. We've had break after break with Kalen, it's miserable. Hope things get back to normal soon,
Love,
Shauna xoxox
Post a Comment