Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Dear Evan Hansen



For Emily's 18th birthday, we took the red eye to NYC so she could see her favorite musical, Dear Evan Hansen.  Specifically, with Ben Platt, who only has nine days left of performing before leaving the show.  I will blog about the rest of NYC later, but the Dear Evan Hansen experience was amazing.

Tickets were pretty expensive, so we decided to let her go alone and I would hang out with my brother, Jeff during the show. (He lives in NYC)  The great thing about me not going to the show was that about 15 minutes before the show was over, I stood by the barricades by the stage door and staked us out a front row spot.  There were about 10 of us who hadn't seen the show but were stage dooring it.  

As soon as the show was over, hundreds of girls rushed out of the theater and it was chaos. I had told Emily I would be right in front of the stage door, but my phone died, sending both of us into a panic.  She even called Ryan back in Seattle, but what could he do?  It was so crowded and crazy that she had been about 5 feet away from me and couldn't find me.  We finally found each other.  she pushed her way up to the front of the barricades and we waited.  and made wonderful DEH friends.  Another girl was also there on her birthday.  We met a mother and daughter from Tacoma, WA.  I met a lady who had flown in from Australia just to see DEH.   She is a huge contributor to the DEH FB page, the "Fansons".  Which I had joined to help us get ready for this show.  so many tips and tricks about where to sit, best place to be by the stage door etc.

We also froze to death. It was in the 20's and super windy.  and we were out there from 11:00 PM - 12:00 AM. 

Only one cast member came out.  usually there are 1-2 that come out and Ben Platt never comes out.  Emily met and talked with Laura Dreyfuss, the female lead and Laura signed Emily's playbill.  It was so exciting!  






Then Ben Platt was quickly escorted out to a black SUV by a bodyguard and they zoomed away.  





Such a fun night!!

No comments: