Saturday, October 5, 2013

Salmon Days

Every year, the first weekend in October, our little town celebrates Salmon Days.  We have a fish hatchery, which apparently is a big deal around here--watching the salmon swim up stream to get back to the hatchery.   For two days, Issaquah even officially changes their name to Fishaquah.  when we first moved here, I was like, salmon, seriously?  kind of lame.  and now, after two years, we're like, SALMON DAYS!!!  WAHOOO!  It's a huge deal around here.  which conflicts with our LDS General Conference, but this weekend, we joined the rest of our ward and recorded conference so we could head out to Salmon Days.  Actually, Ryan was working and Emily was at rowing so it was just me and the boys.

the whole town shuts down and there is tons to do.  the boys and I focused on the children's area, skipping the fish hatchery (shame on us, I know...)  food, parade, entertainment, and shops etc.  I'd love to go sometime with just me and Ryan!  date day.  they usually get around 150,000 people so it's super crowded!   Here are our pics.

this is Trent in the human hamster ball--the favorite thing of the day




making wax hands.  I should have had Trent go first.  Jake was not ready for the feeling of warm wax and he screamed "it's hot! I'm burning!"  a few kids in line behind us quietly got out of line.  It wasn't even hot!  just a weird feeling.


 
jake on left, trent on right
 
air show was cool with lots of flips and tricks.



 




and I loved the dock dogs show--they jumped for distance and height over a pool of water.



I guess salmon are pretty cool after all.  maybe next year we'll even stop by the hatchery!  We live in a great town.

2 comments:

Ehales said...

I laughed out loud to Jake's reaction to the hot wax. Looks like a lot of fun!

Shauna said...

I love where you live, so awesome. I love the human hamster ball, and for free, even better. Great time. Love it.
Shauna xoxo