Last weekend, in preparation for the move, we participated in the neighborhood garage sale. and we made $700! wow! We should do garage sales more often. We told the kids we would be using part of the money to buy one of those awesome huge tents at Costco they have been eyeing each time we go. Our old tent doesn't quite fit our family. It felt great to get rid of a bunch of junk. a lot of that was all of Ryan's CD's. When we got married, he had hundreds of CD's. mostly, they've just been in boxes taking up space.
We also sold our old couches. The best part was, they didn't sell till Saturday night. It was a Friday/Saturday garage sale. So Ryan and I basically sat outside on those couches for 2 entire days. enjoying the beautiful sunny weather and ended up with horrible sunburns. seriously. this was 10 days ago and my arms are still peeling. It was awesome. and notice that Jake is STILL in his bike helmet. He loves to ride his bike so much he literally just wears that helmet all day hoping and waiting for someone to take him on a bike ride.
Of course, the hard part about a neighborhood garage sale is that the kids want to go around and spend their allowances. There were about 50 homes participating in our neighborhood. huge. apparently all our "be smart about spending your money" conversations went right through their heads. ask yourself:
- Do I really need this?
- Where is it going to go?
- Will it make me happy?
- What purpose will this serve?
and so look at this lovely little (I mean HUGE) dog or gorilla or whatever this thing is that Jacob came home with. and for only $5. sigh. I hate it. He loves it. I'm giving it 6 months then I'm donating it.
Trent, on the other hand. loves little knick knacks. He fell in love with this ceramic angel. that's missing a hand. "but you can't really tell unless you look really closely, so it's okay" Trent said. Well at least it will take up less space than the gorilla!!
and I was able to find a bunch of large frames for a project I'm working on. a wall of maps of all the places we've lived or trips we've taken. It's going to take me a while to collect them all--and spray paint coordinating frames, but here's a peek at one map I've gotten so far (thank you etsy!). I'm basing all the colors off of this one. love these colors!

3 comments:
I'm dying, this is hilarious. Darn kids and their ways. Luckily for their sakes they are so cute that we then allow them to take up half or more of our space with these "things." You are so nice to give it six months. Hilarious.
I love the idea of your map project and since you sold your old couches which I remember did you get new ones? I guess there will be a post on those soon and the whole decor of your new home...right? :)
So exciting!!!
Love to you all,
Shauna
Send the boy and his bike to Portland and we'll take him on as many urban bike adventures as he chooses.
I love the project with the maps. I've always wanted to do that. You always come up with such great stuff for your house. Also, the giant dog thing cracks me up. I still have a giant snake that my kids came back with last time we did a neighborhood garage sale. Oh, well!
Post a Comment