I have had chronic shin splints for the past three years. This is not a post to ask for advice about shin splints. Believe me, I've tried everything. About a month ago, I started seeing a physical therapist and began using their anti-gravity treadmill. This is how I'm training for my ragnar race in July. It's the coolest thing ever. it's hard to describe, so here's a description taken from their website.
The device requires users to place a special pair of pants on, then zip themselves into a pressure-controlled chamber that gently lifts them. Precise calibration allows for unweighting from 100 to 20 percent of the user's body weight.
I love to make calculations in my head while running at 80% or 90% of my weight. "this is what it would feel like if I lost X amount of weight!" Since my running has decreased and sometimes stopped completely, off and on the past few years, I've also slowly gained about 15 pounds. Turns out, that's what happens when you substitute yoga for running. It's been frustrating and definitely not helping my shin splints. But I've been really excited to just RUN like crazy on the Alter-G with no pain. I'm getting really excited about the ragnar this summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment