Sunday, November 16, 2014

surgery

Emily had a hip labral repair three days ago.  The surgery went very well.  In some ways, it's been much easier than we expected and in some ways, harder.  We checked in at 6 am and the surgery started around 7 am.  It was a three hour surgery.   It was so strange for her that one minute they were asking her a question about school and the next thing she knew, it was all over and they were waking her up.  Time seemed to go on forever in the waiting room!  Especially since hers was a longer surgery and so many others around me in the waiting room kept getting news from their doctors saying, the surgery went well etc. She spent an hour in recovery before Ryan and I got to go in and see her.  Around noon, they sent us home!  So it was very fast.

post-op

a quick summary--she will have a hip brace for 2 weeks.  crutches for three weeks and a few months of physical therapy, which starts tomorrow--day 4!  That should be interesting because right now she can barely move it at all.  For now, she can put a little weight on it.  They call it "toe touch" (around 20 pounds)  We expect 100% recovery in about 4 months.

Pain hasn't been too bad and she hasn't had to take too many pain pills.  She has learned that she hates sleeping on her back and having to drink prune juice.  She is pretty good at getting up and down the stairs on crutches and yesterday took a shower!  Today we took off the dressings which freaked her out a little bit. 

 She hates to stay still and is very bored.  On the day of her surgery they said she would go home and sleep all day.  What actually happened was that she came home and slept 2 hours, watched 2 episodes of Doctor Who and then started doing laps around the house on her crutches, saying, "I'm so sick of lying around!". I thought, "oh no...this is only the first day.".  It's going to be harder than I thought. 

She loves visitors and is so thankful for all the many gifts, texts, cards etc...every time the doorbell rings,  Jake yells out, "yay!  more cookies!",  before we even open the door to find out who it is.  Thank you to everyone for your prayers and well wishes.  We'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

I'm so glad they're starting her physical therapy so quickly. I guess they were supposed to do that with my knee, but there was a mix up and I didn't get started until over a month after my surgery. It made my recovery a lot longer and more painful.