Sunday, March 18, 2012

foot loose

a few years ago I had a good friend tell me that she was secretly glad her oldest child was graduating from high school and leaving for college because "now we will have time to pay attention to our other children."  You see, she said their family's lives and schedules revolved around their oldest daughter, who was very busy and super involved in many things, just like any high schooler.   I wonder if my parents ever felt like that about me, since I was the oldest of 5 kids.

and I thought to myself, I never want to get to that point.  I've heard it all before.  don't get too busy.  don't let your kids sign up for too many things etc..but fast forward a few years, to Emily, who is only 12 years old and in middle school for crying out loud and already this is our life.  advice anyone??  please feel free to leave a comment.  how do you pay attention to your other kids, when the first one demands so much of your time and attention.   I usually only let her sign up for one activity at a time.  besides piano lessons.  currently, it's the school play, coming up in 2 weeks, but add that to the church stuff and regular school stuff, (like choir concerts, choir festival and choir all state.  have I mentioned how time consuming choir is?)

  Every weekend in March she's got something going on, and we all get dragged along to the concerts and performances.  Trent and Jake are dying of boredom and I sometimes slip them the ipods as I wonder how my parents sat through 5 kids worth of choir concerts, piano recitals and everything else.  

BUT...yesterday was pretty awesome.  Our stake had a foot loose dance program for all the youth.  It's something they do every four years, held at the local community college.  Each ward performs one dance. It was a huge deal!  and our ward was awesome!  They did a medley of songs from all the ages, with the kids dressed in costumes from all the ages.  Emily was 80's.  She's rocking the blue eye shadow!!


just about to go onstage


 this is my cue to stop taking pictures and find my seat.


1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

Fun! Do you have a video of the performance? Now that you know how to put them on your blog :)? And I don't know how to answer your question, since you said you already limit her to one thing other than piano (which is what I try to do). I guess, maybe you reach a point where you can't be at everything for the one. Not sure. It is tricky. I already feel too busy with what Lily and Derek have going on, and thank goodness Activity Days isn't every week :)