Monday, March 19, 2012

a party with no theme

I would like to start off by saying, I love throwing a birthday party with a theme!  It's so much more fun and easy.  See here  here  here and here.  and I already had my heart set on a mad scientist party, I'd seen on the internet.  here and here.    isn't it adorable?  the perfect party for little boys.

But Trent wasn't going for it.  He insisted he wanted a party with no theme, and it would basically be playing the wii and eating pizza.  seriously?  I begged and pleaded.  but to no avail.  wii and pizza it would be.  but I didn't feel too bad, because I have another son, who at some point in his life, WILL have a mad scientist birthday party.


if we're going to be playing the wii, I could at least get creative with the cake!  a wii remote.  sorry it's upside down.



his gifts from Ryan and I included, a pogo stick.  something he's been wanting for a long time!  a new suit, and a 2 pound bag of candy corn, his favorite candy.

and now on to the non-themed party!  Trent gave me permission to plan a few games, one craft and one science experiment in addition to the wii.  so it was a bit random.  but everyone had fun.  We did:

jello slurping contest


3 minute to win it games--balancing ding dongs on your forehead, moving tic tacs into a bowl with tweezers, and emptying kleenix boxes as fast as you can.


and this is what my living room looked like afterwards.  it was like playing in a pile of raked leaves, except it was kleenix.


fake snow--they loved this one! especially when we did it once with white, and then again, with food coloring and they each got to pick their own colors.

and crayon rocks--always a favorite.  although it doesn't matter how many times you say, "this rock is really hot!  don't touch it"  somebody will always get burned.


and just in case you're wondering what that statue thing is on the shelf in the background, it's Trent's school project--making a bust of Harry Houdini.

and that was the party!  oh yeah...and don't forget the wii and pizza.

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

I had been wondering how the no theme party had gone :). And Lily would love a mad scientist party, if you want to come and throw one for her :).