Saturday, March 30, 2013

Two dozen crickets, please


Two dozen crickets, please.  Not something I thought I'd ever say.  For Trent's birthday, he got two geckos!!  and they eat crickets, which you can buy for 11 cents a piece at petsmart.   He was so surprised!!  All the kids love them.  The girl on the left with spots is Penelope and the boy on the right is Percy.  I'm not sure how Trent  picked those names.  He was almost went with Ron and Hermoine.  It was a tough decision.

 
For now, they are in our living room right by the front door, because all the neighbor children love to come over and check on the geckos frequently.  Eventually, they will move upstairs to Trent's room or maybe the hallway.  They shed, and then eat, their skin every few weeks.  The girl lays eggs every month or two (not sure how often)  but nothing happens. so we throw them away.   The kids LOVE to watch them get fed.  every few days,  we put in crickets, and the crickets hop around, and the geckos pounce on them.  It's very exciting. 
 
 
 
One day, the kids built a maze out of magnatiles.  But the geckos climbed right over the walls!
 






And then Percy, climbed up and over the stack of books and started running cross the living room.  He is fast!  Everyone freaked out.  I kept thinking, "if he goes behind the piano I'm never going to be able to get him out!"  But Trent cornered him and then we put them back in the cage.  Enough exercise for one day.


 

1 comment:

Shauna said...

It's so weird because they look fake! But really cool too. Those days are coming for me. We got tad poles in the mail and they are getting big and will be frogs soon enough.. :) Love,

Shauna xo