Tuesday, January 31, 2012

art docent

This is my first year I've really been able to volunteer a lot at school.  Mainly, because my youngest is in kindergarten and I don't have little kids at home anymore, but also, because in Japan, the school was too far away and they never needed volunteers, because they had an abundance of staff.  

Welcome to public school.  the land of volunteers.  I'm not going to go on and on about how wonderful private school was in Japan (it was) or how much we miss it (we do!) but we are thankful that we live in a really great Washington school district.  It was a smooth transition back into public school and we haven't found that our kids are bored or way ahead of their classmates, which are the main complaints of parents switching from private to public.  although we did bump Emily up to 7th grade math.

anyways...a few years ago our art program got cut. pretty normal for most schools.  In California, where Emily went to Kindergarten and half of first grade, they had no specialty classes at all.  no PE, Music or Art.  Here, we are thankful we at least have great PE and Music teachers, but the art had to go.  

Enter, the art docent, ME!!

Our PTA did some fundraising and basically bought an art program, all the lesson plans and supplies.  My job is to go into the classroom, once a month to teach a 15 minute art lesson and then do a project with the kids.  I am the art docent for both Jake and Trent.  It's been a lot of fun.

this month for January...in Jake's class we are finishing up our ceramic mittens.  we have a kiln here at school and I am officially "kiln" trained!  Today we did the final glaze painting.


In Trent's class, we did charcoal self portraits.  so much harder than it looks!

I have loved being the art docent this year!  it's a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Megan Jo Eddie said...

how fun, I can't believe you have a kiln at your school- you lucky! All we have is a heated paper press to smooth out the kids art after they're finished. Your doing a great job and they look like they love it.

Lisa Brown said...

How awesome! I am sure you are fantastic at it!