Saturday, January 14, 2012

never go to costco when you're hungry

because this is what will happen. I've had a few friends ask me to follow up about this post. What are we doing about our five year old picky eater? Well, this is what we decided, and thanks to all of our friends and family for the many suggestions. It was fun and interesting to read.

1. No one is forced to eat anything on the table. But if you choose not to eat, then you will go hungry. There will be no more food after dinner.

2. If you have at least tried everything on your plate, and one tiny bite of each dish is fine, then you may have a yogurt before bed, that's the pre-determined snack. or more dinner.

3. I try to have 4-5 comfort dinners during the week that I know Trent and Emily love. (Jake is not included in this b/c there is not one thing I make for dinner that he likes. seriously) and then 1-2 times a week I usually try a new recipe or make one of my favorite dishes.

pretty simple. This is how it's been for the past 3 or so months since we started these rules. So last night, I made Chicken pasta soup, one of my favorite soups. picture below. so yummy with tortillini, red bell peppers, fresh spinach. We also had French bread, carrot sticks and strawberries. Trent tried 2 bites of the soup, and ate everything else on his plate and earned his yogurt before bed. Jake chose not to try the soup, but had everything else on his plate so didn't get a yogurt.

in the past 3 months I have only seen Jacob try the main dish one time. and that was on Thanksgiving, he had one tiny piece of turkey, which he didn't like but at least he tried it. and I always serve 2-3 other things besides the main dish, mainy because I know Jacob will not be eating the main dish.

and this has been working for us. It hasn't gotten Jacob to try new things, but it's nice to have consistency and everyone know what to expect each night. oh yeah...and none of this applies to Saturday nights. That's our date night and the kids always get a treat while we're gone.




and here's a beautiful sunset Emily snapped last night! Thanks Ryan for calling home and telling us to look out the window! totally different from today. it rained all day and started snowing for a few minutes. but by the time Jacob got all dressed to go outside in the snow, it had melted and was back to rain.

2 comments:

Megan Jo Eddie said...

Emily- beautiful photography! I love that picture.

Lisa Brown said...

Gorgeous picture! And your eating rules sound just like ours - it doesn't mean that Derek will eat, but at least he knows what to expect. And even though he still won't even nibble a vege, he still asks me what vegetable we are having each night, and then cries when I tell him, like he expected to pick a non-exhistant vege he likes :).