Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hot Cakes--only for the chocoholics

 


This week I had a birthday!!  Emily made me a yummy chocolate cake, doubling the Lion House chocolate frosting recipe (best chocolate frosting ever!)  so the frosting was about 1/2 an inch thick.   just the way I like it.  It was so good!  Those of you who know me, know that I love chocolate.  So last week, in the eye doctor's office, when I was waiting for Emily to get glasses,  I read in a Seattle foodie magazine about a chocolate restaurant in Ballard.  I knew I had to go for my birthday dinner. 

side note,  Emily hates her glasses and has forbidden me to post any pictures of her, but take my word for it.  She looks adorable.  I love them!


I've always wanted one of these!

We pulled up to Hot Cakes and Ryan immediately said, "oh no.  Is this one of those trendy places?  I hate trendy places.  boasting about their vegan this and that." 
 
Why yes it is, and you're going to eat it and love it.  It was a super small store, definitely more a dessert type place, not really for dinner.  and packed like sardines.  in the store, waiting outside the store.  people were everywhere.  We squished inside, sampling various caramel and chocolate sauces while we waited for seats.   
 
Hot fudge samples.  what a great idea!




I have discovered that I am not good at taking food pictures, none of mine turned out, so here are some I pulled from the web.  I had the grilled chocolate sandwich and a peanut butter molten chocolate cake.  Ryan had a dark chocolate milk shake and a dark decadence molten chocolate cake.  YUM!!!  It was sooooo good. 

 
Ryan turned to me halfway through and said, "do you notice that everyone around us is getting one thing to share and we have two things each?"
 
It's my birthday and I came to eat.   I ate both of my things, and then had the last half of Ryan's milkshake.  But don't worry, I ran 5 miles that morning, instead of my usual 3 miles in anticipation of this night out. 
 
Bottom line,  Ryan loved it.  I loved it.  If you are ever the Seattle area and you love chocolate, you need to check out Hot Cakes.
 

3 comments:

Megan Jo Eddie said...

Yum!!!!! I'm loving every delicious word you posted. I looked up the menu, and can't wait to come visit and try it out. I would have ordered the very same things. Happy birthday lady!

Shauna said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the looks of it all!!!! Very choice of you to go there, for sure. You are actually in a great place for food dear. There is so much around you, that I've read about.

Jill love you so much!!! Think aobut you all the time and I'm responding to your email right now. Love to you,

Shauna xoxoxoxoxo

Z@KickingKilos said...

Is it just me, or did you make all your readers super hungry ;)
Happy Birthday!