Monday, we taped quarters to a vending machine with the note below. The only hard thing was, vending machines are scarce around here! I've never noticed that before. They are a thing of the past. We tried two stores, and finally found one vending machine, with Big K soda (never heard of it!) on the far entrance.
Tuesday, we gathered up all the random shopping carts at the grocery store parking lot and returned them to the front of the store. the boys thought this was really fun.
Wednesday, we left this note and candy in the mailbox for the mailman. He took it!
Thursday, Jacob and I hid quarters all over the park. He was sad because he wanted to stay and watch kids find the money, but it was sprinkling and the park was empty. But the next day the quarters were gone.
Friday, I had planned to have us write thank you notes to the local fireman and take them doughnuts, but the kids were way too shy and did NOT want to do it. They said it would be way too embarrassing. another time. :)
I hope this was a good experience for them! I enjoyed it. Here are some of our other random spring break pictures.
We had a few hail storms
We made juice pouch wallets. and drank a lot of capri suns. So easy. I followed this you tube video. it took less than five minutes. But you do need to plan ahead a day or two to thoroughly wash and dry the pouches.
Emily and her friend colored our tree with chalk. I find it's always helpful to have a few random teenager activities planned out, in case Emily's plans of "we're going to just hang out and talk for a few hours." gets boring. When I saw this idea, it had said to soak chalk for a few hours, then crush it into a thick paint and paint with brushes. But we only soaked ours for 1 hour (Emily said 10 minutes also worked fine) just enough to get wet chalk, then color it like normal chalk. It's dark and pretty! and will eventually wash off. But for now, our Dr. Suess tree is the talk of the neighborhood! We love to watch out the window, as strangers walking by, stop and stare at the tree. sometimes reaching out to touch it to see what it is. so funny.
a bath in the dark with glow sticks! Something everyone should do at least once. Jacob had a cavity fixed this day. When a little kid gets a cavity it is 100% the parents fault. I know it. The dentist knows it. Everyone in the world knows it. I felt awful. Because Jacob is so stubborn, he's basically been brushing and flossing (or not flossing) on his own for about 2 years now. He's also had cavities the last 3 dentist trips. I have now officially taken over flossing every night, even though Jacob hates it. It's been one week so far so I think he's getting used to it. The dentist said he recommends parents floss their kids teeth every night till they are eight years old. I would be curious to know, for those of you reading this, how old your kids were when they started brushing and flossing on their own.
an outing to the family fun center, which was like a chucky cheese on steroids. go karts, bungee trampolines and lots of arcades.
Each child was responsible for dinner one night. planning the menu and making it all by themselves. Jake made pizza, Trent, vegetable chili, and Emily, pasta pizza, one of our family favorites. Pasta pizza is a recipe my mom got out of The Friend magazine years ago. click here to see it. I've recently seen it going around pinterest like it's some new recipe, and I keep thinking, you guys! It was in The Friend 20 years ago!
2 comments:
What a great spring break! I will have to share this will my girls...
Okay, I'm sure you will be seeing a post on this because my kids are begging to do this!! The minute Kalen read this post, he came to me, "mom have you read that post, we are doing that." Copy Cats. I know. Love you,
Shauna
Post a Comment