Friday, August 30, 2013

ice cream for breakfast


last June when I was researching fun summertime ideas, I saw "have ice cream for breakfast."  Of course my kids loved that idea and we added it to our summer bucket list.  All summer long they talked about it. They'd say, "you know the one thing we haven't done..."  and I'd always play it down and make it seem like I didn't love that idea.  I constantly reminded them that the bucket list is just a springboard for ideas.  We won't be able to do everything on the list.  And that's how I surprised them!!  Today I planned a Goodbye Summer Party.  which was the perfect thing because today it rained all day!  and not just a drizzle.  like a downpour.  I am so not ready for the rain!



I set the table fancy, tablecloth and goblets and everything.  which I should do more often.  Usually, I don't even bother with napkins.  Once, we had company over and Jake picked up a napkin and said, "What's this?"  I was so embarrassed.  Anyways, Trent was helping put the goblets on the table, and I heard Jake say, "Goblets!  We never get goblets!  Trent, if you break them I will be so mad at you."  Then, Emily, who has slept in till at least 10 am every morning, comes running down the stairs at 8:30 am, saying, "I heard the word ice cream and I shot our of bed!"



we dumped out our summer bucket and talked about all the fun stuff we did this summer


and I made my favorite hot fudge sauce, see recipe below, from the Crandall Family cookbook.  This stuff is so good, Jake filled his cone with hot fudge instead of ice cream. 



Best Hot Fudge Sauce, Ever

1/4 C Butter
1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/4 C cocoa
1 C sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 can evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla

melt butter and chocolate together.  mix sugar and cocoa in separate bowl, getting all the cocoa clumps out.  add sugar/cocoa mixture to the chocolate.  add salt, evaporated milk and vanilla.  just dump it all in at the same time.  bring slowly just to a boil.  serve warm.  it will thicken as it cools down.  I usually bring to a boil, then let it sit about 10 minutes.

No comments: