Wednesday, December 4, 2013

the best brussels sprouts

I know.  you can't believe I'm doing a post on brussels sprouts.  I actually despised brussels sprouts until I tried this recipe from my brother Jeff.  plain brussels sprouts?  disgusting.  but add bacon, pine nuts and garlic and now they have become delicious.  because doesn't everything taste better with bacon?  We had these on Thanksgiving.

Brussels Sprouts
 
Bacon
Pine Nuts
Minced Garlic - 1/2 tsp or 1 clove
Olive Oil
 
Trim the brussels sprouts and slice them in half.
 
Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy but not burned. 
Remove the bacon and set on a plate with a paper towel on it.
 
Toss the sprouts into the bacon grease over medium-high heat.  Stir to coat the sprouts, but then let them sit for a few minutes without stirring so that they brown a bit. Sprinkle olive oil after a few minutes to keep them cooking... only 1T or so.
 
Meanwhile - toast the pine nuts in the oven under the broiler -- check constantly - they go from looking like nothing has happened yet to burnt to a crisp in the blink of an eye. 
 
Cook the sprouts until tender and a little crispy.  Add the garlic.  Stir for 1 minute. Off the heat, crumble the bacon, toss on the pine nuts.  Stir and serve.
 

No comments: